6 Popular SEO Myths You Need To Know About
SEO is one area of marketing that is never constant and is ever changing. Since there is no consistency in SEM ( search engine marketing ) strategies, it is important to know about the latest developments and to be informed about the strategies that have been outdated. Yes, we’re talking about SEO myths.
It is during this process of learning and getting rid of some strategies that we tend to learn about certain myths as well. When talking about SEO myths and the strategies that follow them, most of them are no longer valid thanks to the latest updates that Google has brought forward in its algorithms, but how many people are aware of it? Not many, so here is a list of some of the famous SEO myths that are important for SEO specialists to know about:
6 SEO Myths To Know About ( And Then Forget About! )
- Number 1 rankings are the most important – Getting to the number one position in the SERPs is the ‘be all and end all’ of all SEO firms. It is time for a reality check and realize that bagging the number one slot is practically impossible for high competitive keywords. It is also important to understand that grabbing first position is not that important any longer.
- The relevance of keywords is gone – This myth has become very popular specially among the new internet marketing agencies. This myth has come from the fact that keyword density is considered to be ‘black hat’ by Google’s algorithms. So let us now break this myth down and understand that no matter how sophisticated Google’s algorithm have become, today it still gives a lot of importance to keywords and the relevance of keywords in content still commands attention. To sum up this point, break away from the myth and understand that keyword relevance is still crucial implying that doing keyword research is a must. Texts and keywords play a strong role even today in guiding users through the search engine results for the most reliable results.
- Keywords must have an exact match – Yet another common SEO myth. Let’s have a closer look at what is actually true here. Keywords are better considered as a cluster of concepts that are related to one another as against the discrete keywords. It is practically impossible to match exact keywords and in the attempt to do this the web is cluttered with horrible articles based on SEO, which does not have any substance and offer no value to users. Hence, it is important to write keyword based articles, but ‘related keywords’ and not an exact match. This way you can rank for more keywords and have a better chance of avoiding a penalty.
- Meta tags are considered important – With the sudden sophistication in Google’s algorithms they seem to be less dependent on the clues the webmasters provide. However, it is time to do away with meta tags because Google no longer depends on them, and it is time not to focus so much time on it and give all your attention to writing great content that make for a good read.
- The more links, the less on site content required– There was a time when the SEO people gave a lot of importance to links even if the content was utter trash. But times have changed because Google has become smarter in terms of updating itself.So yes even if there is one good backlink but the content is high value it seems to do wonders now. Google immediately shoots you up right at the top slot of the SERPs. So as Bill Gates says, “content is king” so follow that. But does that mean link building is no longer important? Obviously not, it is still one of the primary concepts of SEO, but not at the cost of neglecting good content. So it does not matter if you have just one link in your article as long as your article is great.
- SEO and social media are unrelated – Amongst all SEO myths, this one needs to be broken almost immediately, because if this myth continues then we are losing out on a lot in terms of promoting our website and letting people know about us. Google has finally realized the power that is tapped into social media, and since then even Google is trying to promote the platform that social media has created for us all. Social media is one of the biggest scope today that helps tremendously in the field of SEO.
The dynamics of SEO are ever changing and the best way to understand the dynamics is to keep studying and the sooner you get rid of the SEO myths, the better it will be for you. There is no dearth of knowledge splashed across the web about SEO, so it is time for you to take your call to understand what stands true in the test of time, and what is a myth that needs to be shut inside a sealed closet. It is your time to choose, make it count!
Want even more information on SEO myths that you need to know about and actively avoid? Then check this out.